Wednesday 21 October 2015

"What does she want us to do, not eat because we have curves?"

Today whilst i was bored in my lecture i was scrolling through my Twitter feed and came across one of my fellow bloggers talking about her latest post. She wrote about how everyone was fighting with her about the sensitive subject she wrote about. I read all of her tweets, the ones she received from other people and her actual post. It was all about obese people and how the world shouldn't accept them, how the world should stop making bigger sized clothes to force people to diet. To which i automatically thought "what does she want people to do? walk around completely naked?". I then spoke to one of my house mates on the matter and another blogger, Joanna. I was so tempted to tweet back with my thought but we came to the conclusion that she just wants views, and that hate to her is better than no attention at all, the way she approached the subject was aggressive and rude and i felt upset knowing people could be seriously effected by her post and attitude. After having a big discussion about the matter and other subjects with Joanna i decided to write this post, all about society now and the way people see themselves.



The idea of plus size women can strike up so many different conversations. But the one road i want to go down is confidence and people being happy in themselves. Joanna said one thing in our discussion which i asked if i could quote her on, because it's true and i completely agree. "I'm not that slim, i have big boobs and big hips and a chub around my stomach - am i plus size?". It obviously got me thinking about myself and others around me. I am two different sizes on top and bottom, because of my big hips, small waist and big boobs. Which size is counted as plus size? The average size in the UK is 12, which to me sounds reasonable because i myself am a size 12. I'm not unhealthy, i don't exactly eat what i should daily and i skip meals sometimes but not because i want to make myself feel better, but because i go to work, i have university i'm simply too busy to eat sometimes. Girls in our society have busy lives, we don't sit at home and look after our husbands any more.

A few months ago someone shared an article with me about the new mannequins in American Apparel. Their ribs were showing and it was all around disgusting. I have always known since i started clothes shopping for myself that American Apparel cater for skinnier girls. Which is fine, there are shops out there that cater for curvier girls. But the new mannequins took this to a new level. It shows girls who are just starting to enjoy shopping that it's okay to look like that, that it's okay to not eat for days on end to look 'beautiful'. The truth is if you're happy, you are beautiful. I love my friends and family no matter what they look like.

In the end i just want to say the society shouldn't pressure you into doing something that will make you unhappy. You should live your life for yourself and no one else. Please leave comments bellow about your opinions on the subject and any advice you have for other girls and women! You never know, you might change someone's outlook on life.

Check out Joanna's #WeekOfWoman which i featured on today!

Love,
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment